Thursday, September 17, 2026

Minor Surgery :: A Dutchman Operation

A long time ago one of the small casements suffered inexplicable damage to its upper exterior corner. The wound had been painted over. More than once. While it was in the hospital I fixed it with a Dutchman. Minor surgery in the grand scheme.

 

 

These windows are made of old growth wood. Dry and stable with tight grain. Justifying my habit of saving odd bits of old wood (because “I might need it”) I had a piece that was a good match. Likely eastern yellow pine. I marked the edges of material to be removed, used the router table to do the dirty work then squared up the corner. 

 

 

Next was milling up the new patch making it ever so slightly proud on the outside facing edges. Titebond III wood glue. Some clamps and it was off for an overnight in the recovery ward.

 

 

The next day a little hand planning and sanding. 

Ready for prime time. Rather, primer paint.

 

No comments: